The following activities result in gaining XP as of 08 November 2017:
- Successfully completing a lesson or Untimed practice.
- Completing a timed practice with at least one correct response. One point is awarded for each correct response.
- On the apps only:
- Meeting the goal number of XP will let you open a chest (see Daily Goal).
- On Android only:
- Achieving several correct answers in a row during a lesson (not during practice) can lead to getting up to 5 additional XP as a "Combo Bonus".
It is also noteworthy that, in the past, practicing old lessons did not always result in a fixed amount of XP. According to Luis von Ahn:
The idea is that the number of XP you earn now depends on how weak the words are in the lesson. Lessons in which all the words are already at maximal strength will only give you 3 XP, and lessons in which all words are at minimal strength will give you 10 XP.However, this seems no longer to be the case, as all untimed practices currently seem to offer 10 XP regardless of how strong or weak the practiced words are.
Finding the total number of XPEdit
Your number of XPs and those of your friends can be seen in the friends ranking section.
Finding the XP of a given courseEdit
As of May 2019 it seems there is no easy way to see the XP of a given course in Duolingo. Duome shows the XP of the current course.
In addition to providing a way to track your daily activity and compete with your friends, XP also determine your language "level". This "level" is a measure of how much work you have put into the language. It is not a measure of your "level of mastery" in the language, which was measured by the now discontinued fluency badge.
The level can be seen on the web site.
- In "Your profile" page, in a box with a scroll bar, that shows at most four courses at a time.
- In Reset or remove languages. You can cancel this page after seeing all your languages at once.
- Above your comments in discussions.
Each level requires reaching a certain amount of XP. The maximum level is 25. The XP requirements for each level are shown in the table to the right.
On May 2019 language levels stopped to appear on the main page when hovering the language flag.