Luis von Ahn (born 1979) is a Guatemalan MacArthur fellowship recipient entrepreneur, associate professor in the Computer Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University, and co-founder and CEO of Duolingo. He also founded the company reCAPTCHA, which was sold to Google in 2009.
Presentations and interviewsEdit
This is a sampling of presentations and interviews delivered by Luis von Ahn over the years.
- Massive-scale online collaboration, April 2011
- Interview with Luis von Ahn, part 2, part 3, part 4 (Spanish), November 2011. Hour-long personal interview in Spanish, covering his childhood, personal life, goals, and more; only a few minutes toward the end on Duolingo.
- Utilizando el poder de millones de mentes humanas (Spanish, "Using the Power of Millions of Human Minds"), November 2011
- Duke University Provost's Lecture Series, April 2013
- Educación en línea y el poder de millones de mentes humanas (Spanish; "Online Education and the Power of Millions of Human Minds"), June 2013
- Google+ Hangout con Luis von Ahn, fundador de Duolingo (Spanish), October 11, 2013
- Crowd-sourcing pioneer talks about technology in 2014, December 5, 2013. Includes a question and answer time with reporters.
- Global Learning Council: Luis von Ahn, September 4, 2014. Includes a question and answer time at the end covering the Duolingo Test Center and future directions for Duolingo.
- Educacion masiva para el futuro (Spanish; "Massive Education for the Future"), October 1, 2014
- Massive Education for the Future, October 2014
- The_Future_of_One-on-One_Education, Video Of The Week: Luis von Ahn on Technology Based Tutoring, 2015.
- Wikimania 2015 
News articles Edit
- Luis von Ahn:Duolingo: learn a language for free while helping to translate the web. IUI 2013: 1-2
- Thomas W. Malone, Luis von Ahn:Collective Intelligence 2012: Proceedings. CoRR abs/1204.2991 (2012) 2011
- Edith Law, Luis von Ahn:Human Computation. Synthesis Lectures on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Morgan & Claypool Publishers 2011 [contents]
- Edith Law, Luis von Ahn: Book announcement: Human Computation. SIGecom Exchanges 10(3): 3-4 (2011)
- Luis von Ahn: Three human computation projects. SIGCSE 2011: 691-692
- Severin Hacker and Luis von Ahn. Matchin: Eliciting User Preferences with an Online Game. ACM Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2009. pp 1207-1216.
- Edith Law and Luis von Ahn. Input-Agreement: A New Mechanism for Collecting Data Using Human Computation Games. ACM Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2009. pp 1197-1206.
- Luis von Ahn, Ben Maurer, Colin McMillen, David Abraham and Manuel Blum. reCAPTCHA: Human-Based Character Recognition via Web Security Measures. Science, September 12, 2008. pp 1465-1468.
- Luis von Ahn and Laura Dabbish. General Techniques for Designing Games with a Purpose. Communications of the ACM, August 2008. pp 58-67.
- Luis von Ahn. Games With A Purpose. IEEE Computer Magazine, June 2006. pp 96-98.
- Luis von Ahn, Ruoran Liu and Manuel Blum. Peekaboom: A Game for Locating Objects in Images. ACM Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2006. pp 55-64.
- Luis von Ahn, Mihir Kedia and Manuel Blum. Verbosity: A Game for Collecting Common-Sense Knowledge. ACM Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI Notes 2006. pp 75-78.
- Luis von Ahn, Shiry Ginosar, Mihir Kedia and Manuel Blum.Improving Accessibility of the Web with a Computer Game. ACM Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI Notes 2006. pp 79-82.
- Luis von Ahn, Nicholas Hopper and John Langford. Covert Two-Party Computation. Symposium on the Theory of Computing (STOC) 2005. pp 513-522.
- Luis von Ahn and Nicholas Hopper. Public-Key Steganography. Advances in Cryptology, Eurocrypt 2004. pp 323-341.
- Luis von Ahn and Laura Dabbish. Labeling Images with a Computer Game. ACM Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2004. pp 319-326.
- Luis von Ahn, Manuel Blum and John Langford. Telling Humans and Computers Apart Automatically. Communications of the ACM, February 2004. pp 56-60.
- Luis von Ahn, Manuel Blum, Nicholas Hopper and John Langford. CAPTCHA: Using Hard AI Problems for Security.Advances in Cryptology, Eurocrypt 2003. pp 294-311.
- Nicholas Hopper, John Langford and Luis Von Ahn. Provably Secure Steganography. Advances in Cryptology, CRYPTO 2002. pp 77-92.
Question and answer sessionsEdit
- Reddit AMA, July 11, 2012
- Reddit AMA, May 29, 2013
- Duolingo Reddit AMA, April 14, 2014
- Reddit AMA, November 20, 2014
- Quora Session , January 12, 2016
- Product hunt, JULY 25, 2016
See also Edit
- ↑ Duolingo: Press. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- ↑ Google acquires Luis von Ahn's company, ReCAPTCHA. Googleblog.blogspot.com (September 2009). Retrieved on 2012-05-13.
- ↑ https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Press_conference_introduces_annual_Wikipedia_conference_Wikimania_in_Mexico_City
- ↑ http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/obama-admits-bad-spanish-he-gets-language-learning-app-demo-n404156
- ↑ http://www.prensalibre.com/noticias/Gates-recibe-Luis-von-Ahn_0_1131486864.html
- ↑ https://www.macfound.org/fellows/793/
- ↑ http://awards.acm.org/award_winners/vonahn_6953650.cfm