Lingots (pronounced [ling-guhts]) are virtual currency on Duolingo used in the shop. They are used to reward people for various accomplishments related to language learning and translation. In iOS and some Android devices, a similar currency is used, and they are called gems.
Purpose[edit | edit source]
Lingots can be used to buy:
- Bonus Skills
- Streak holders
- Take a test to skip to the next level (5 lingots)
If you are on iOS or Android, you can also buy outfits for Duo:
- 400 gems for the Formal Attire
- 600 gems for the Champagne Tracksuit
- 1000 gems for the Super Duo
They can also be used to reward people.
Earning Lingots or Gems[edit | edit source]
Lingots or gems can be earned in several ways:
- Completing a skill for the first time (two lingots/50 gems per skill)
- Reaching your daily goal.
- Reaching the next XP level (number of lingots corresponding to the level achieved)
- Inviting friends: if your friend accepts, you both receive one lingot
- Maintaining a streak: every ten days of a streak, earn an increasing number of lingots
- Receiving a lingot from another user in a Duolingo discussion forum post
- Being in the three first places of a league (e.g. 400 gems or 20 lingots for first place)
- 25 gems are earned for every achievement you gain
References[edit | edit source]
- Duolingo Shop
- Lingots, a virtual store, and a more fun way to learn!
- Windows phone store.Duolingo - Learn Languages for Free . http://web.archive.org/web/20160203182739/https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/duolingo-learn-languages-for-free/9wzdncrcv5xn