Japanese is a Japonic language spoken mainly in Japan by roughly 125 million total speakers.
As of January 2016, Duolingo staff noted that for Japanese:
"The biggest challenge for us is teaching the writing system. Duolingo currently does not have a good way of teaching new character sets, but we’ll be working on that soon", Luis von Ahn (2016) .As of the summer 2017, Japanese is available to English speakers on Android and Apple devices, which first teach a few characters then teach simple words employing them. The first words taught are the counting words for one to four i.e. ichi, ni, san, yon.
The course was released on the website version on October 11th, 2017.
Input methodsEditMain article: Guide to keyboard layouts and input methods
- Midori for iPad (paid) (Dictionary,Flashcards,Search and Translate,Lists and Bookmarks,No internet required.
- Tangorin online dictionary
- Nihongo Master Online Japanese Dictionary (Words and Kanji and Example Sentences)
- Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese (website, Android app, e-book)
- Forvo Japanese
- Human Japanese
- Wiktionary has pronunciation for many Japanese words, in addition to romaji and kana for pronunciation of kanji.
- Hiragana and Katakana
- Japanese-lesson.com's YouTube channel (Containing two extensive video courses for Hiragana and Katakana)
- Practice sheets
- https://www.wanikani.com/ (Learn and practice kanji and vocabulary)
Language learning platforms Edit
- Elon.io (For learning and practicing grammar & vocabulary, kanji & kana, and for (video) chat with peers)
- https://busuu.com (To learn and practice grammar and vocabulary, practice writing and have it graded by native speakers, and to live chat with Japanese speakers)
- http://en-us.wespeke.com/index.html (Live chat with native speakers of nearly any language)
- Nihongo Master (Learn Japanese online with lessons, tools and a big community)
- Tofugu Sensei (Has a little bit of everything that is Japanese related. High quality.)
- Sublearning - Movie subtitle flash card quiz in Japanese and many other languages
- Free Japanese Flashcards
- ↑ https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-challenges-of-developing-a-Japanese-course-for-English-speakers-on-Duolingo
- ↑ "Japanese and Korean Surprise!".
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.