Occupation 1 is the forty-fourth (assuming left to right) skill in the German language tree. In these five lessons, the learner of German begins to be able to talk about jobs and professions in German.
Student oder Schüler?
German has two words that map to "student" in English. Student is always a university or college student. Any other uses of "student" (i.e. students of a secondary or primary school or some other institution) are called Schüler.
I am a...
German eliminates the "a/an" when describing a job, such "I am a teacher." If you have an adjective or are using a different article, then keep it.
- der Beruf = occupation
- der/die Arzt/Ärztin = doctor
- der(die) Bäcker(in) = baker
- der(die) Koch/Köchin = cook
- der(die) Lehrer(in) = teacher
- der(die) Schüler(in) = student
- der(die) Student(in) = student
- der(die) Professor(in) = professor
- der Geschäftsführer = manager
- der(die) Arbeitgeber(in) = employer
- der(die) Mitarbeiter(in) = co-worker
- der Arbeitnehmer = employee
- die Arbeit = work
- der Senior = senior
- der Autor = author
- der Trainer = coach
- der Händler = trader
- der Meister = master
- der(die) Chef(in) = leader
- der Bürgermeister = mayor
- der(die) Architekt(in) = architect
- der(die) Bauer(in)= farmer
- der(die) Verkäufer(in) = seller
- der(die) Fahrer(in) driver
- die Bedienung = service
- die Feuerwehr = fire department
Duolingo Lesson: www.duolingo.com/skill/de/Occupations-1