Questions related to learning by practicing (previously called "Strengthen skills") are answered below.
- 1 How does general Practice button work?
- 2 How does the Practice button within a skill work?
- 3 How is the XP reward calculated?
- 4 How much practice does it take to strengthen words/skills/courses?
- 5 How can I practice what I've learned?
- 6 How do I keep my tree golden?
- 7 What happened to duels?
- 8 Can more than one skill be strengthened?
- 9 Can I complete a practice session without improving skill strength?
- 10 How does Duolingo choose words for practice?
- 11 How does skill/word strength work?
- 12 References
[edit | edit source]
The Practice button on the home page allows you to practice the student's weakest individual words and concepts, but won't necessarily strengthen a particular skill, since the words may come from many different skills.
[edit | edit source]
Practice skill button will target that skill specifically".
How is the XP reward calculated?[edit | edit source]
According to Luis von Ahn on February 2015:
The idea is that the number of XP you earn now depends on how weak the words are in the lesson. Lessons in which all the words are already at maximal strength will only give you 3 XP, and lessons in which all words are at minimal strength will give 10 XP.
How much practice does it take to strengthen words/skills/courses?[edit | edit source]
Duolingo often experiments with the algorithm so this is subject to change. As of 01 September 2014, "words are strengthened every time users practice them". For example, a skill with with 50 weak words may require more than 5 skill specific practice rounds (general strengthen skill may take far longer), and a whole tree more than 50 rounds.
How can I practice what I've learned?[edit | edit source]
How do I keep my tree golden?[edit | edit source]
What happened to duels?[edit | edit source]
According Duolingo staff, Duels were removed because "with Duels, and the tab bar at the bottom of iOS, people were quitting Duolingo quicker than they would have been without those features around, and these were taking up prime real estate for other things we'd like to try (like a permanent Coach bar)".
Can more than one skill be strengthened?[edit | edit source]
Yes, it is possible to strengthen more than one skill if words from those skills appear in a practice session.
Can I complete a practice session without improving skill strength?[edit | edit source]
Yes, it is possible to complete a practice session without a 'visible' improvement to the skill strength. However, the words' strength may still be improved.
How does Duolingo choose words for practice?[edit | edit source]
Duolingo chooses words using a spaced repetition algorithm.
How does skill/word strength work?[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Notice some changes in word strength?
- Duolingo Forums, Fewer XP for practicing strong words, Luis von Ahn, February 20, 2015.
- Greg's Reflections: How to Make a Gold Duolingo Tree
- Staff member tylrmurphy comment on An update on anything?
- What happens when you peek?