There are a number of different types of exercise, each one aimed at helping users learn in a different way:
- Translation: You are presented with the text of a sentence in one language and are asked to translate it into the other.
- Transcription: You are presented with the audio of a sentence and are asked to type it out.
- Speaking: You are presented with the text of a sentence and asked to speak it into your computer's microphone.
- Fill in the blank: You are asked to choose the correct word or phrase to complete the sentence.
- Multiple-choice translation: You are asked which of several sentences in one language is a valid translation of a sentence in the other language. Often the wrong alternatives are not even grammatically correct. See Dead giveaways.
- Picture flashcard translation: You are presented a word in one language and are asked to translate it into the other language with the help of a few relevant pictures.
- Picture flashcard matching: You are presented with several words and corresponding images in one language and asked to choose which one matches a word in the other language.
- Sentence shuffle: You are presented with the text of a sentence in one language and a shuffled sentence in the other. You have to rearrange the words to form the correct translation. There are two variations of this exercise:
- Normally there are exactly four extra words. However sometimes three or five words remain.
- Sometimes the font size is smaller and there are no extra words.
- Tap the pairs: An even number of boxes, half in your base language and half in your target language are shown. You must select the pairs. You may select a box in either language and then its translation.
The following exercises are not available as of April 2019.
- Character Challenges - You are asked to translate or answer a question by a Duolingo character . This may change the answer depending on gender/context.
- Conversation Challenges - You are asked to respond to a Duolingo character.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.